Wednesday, April 3, 2013

EVERLY BUCK STONES

Back when I was a teenager, there was a older guy that I used to hang out at the beach with. He was in a band that had an album out that  involved some pedal steel guy named Sneaky Pete (he either produced it or played on it, I forget which). It was a pretty big deal, because I didn't know anyone with a record out, let alone an LP. When I finally saw his band play, it turned out that they were a country rock band, a Christian country rock band. Sneaky Pete was apparently someone he knew from church. As you can imagine, the cool factor was somewhat diminished. Nevertheless, this guy will always be someone I look to as a good influence, for three reasons: he had a VW van that he loaned me on a couple occasions, had a Weber Performer that he'd loan me, and through his Sneaky Pete connection, he turned me on to the Flying Burrito Brothers.



It's hard to imagine, but there was a time when country rock actually leaned more toward country, when pedal steel was essential, and Buck Owens and Dave Dudley covers were as much a part of the set list as a Chuck Berry cover. Just like just other types of music, country rock got watered down gradually until the hits started coming, and, you've seen it many times, the benefactors weren't the pioneers. Oh, by the way, I hate the Eagles. Comparing them with the Flying Burrito Brothers is like comparing the Knack with the Sex Pistols. The Flying Burrito Brothers were something else altogether. They played their share of pop venues, but unlike later country rock bands, they also played country and western clubs, notably the Palomino, a club in the San Fernando Valley, east of Los Angeles. They actually wanted a country crowd. Go figure.


A while back there was a 1969 set of theirs, from the Palomino, floating around the net. Unfortunately, I can't find it (take note snoozers). So, when I ran into two other live sets of theirs, I figured I'd better point you towards them. If you're one of the full-on types who already have them, there's a link down their to the working sketches of the outfits seen on their first LP, The Gilded Palace of Sin, by the legendary country and western tailor Nudie . (Found by Ray, the guy who always finds cool shit on YouTube. He's apparently branched out.)

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Flying Burrito Brothers - Wild Horses mp3 at Beat Surrender 
The live sets:
The Flying Burrito Brothers - Seattle Pop Festival 1969
at The Big O Fifteen individual cuts 

No comments: