Thursday, January 3, 2013

GRIEVE AND GROOVE

Just a quick one because, just I'd suspected he would, Larry Grogan at Funky 16 Corners gave Fontella Bass the send off she deserved. This song he posted was "Don't Mess Up a Good Thing", recorded with Bobby McClure in 1965. I'd always liked the song, but had only heard a version by Greg Allman back in the seventies, and Carla and Rufus Thomas' version. The Bass/McClure version is superior, a real gas, and Larry's write-up is icing on the cake.

I also ran into a post at Bedazzled, about Bass and Marva Whitney, who also passed away just weeks ago.  There's four songs, two by each, and a great written thing over there. Check out Whitney's "It's My Thing (You Can't Tell Me Who to Sock It To)" (once there, right click to save). I could write a whole post about how awesome it is. In fact, I probably will.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Fontella Bass and Bobby McClure - Don't Mess Up a Good Thing mp3 at Funky 16 Corners Go there to get it.
Fontella Bass - My Good Loving mp3 at Bedazzled 
Marva Whitney - It's My Thing (You Can't Tell Me Who to Sock It To) mp3 at Bedazzled
Carla and Rufus Thomas - Don't Mess Up a Good Thing mp3 at The Soul Girl

No comments: