Friday, January 25, 2013

ENOUGH WITH THE K PUNS

Yeah, I'm fully aware hot shot, the Kinks seem pretty elementary, particularly the early stuff. But when was the last time you actually listened to them? The hits are so ingrained in your musical lexicon that you probably don't think you need to, right? You're wrong. Holy shit, are you wrong. Just give these a whirl again, preferably loud. The louder the better. Shit, even "I Gotta Move" is enough to make you dance like an idiot, and it's got acoustic guitar all over it.

You fully vested Kink freaks might get get a kick out of the non-rocker down there, the demo for "I Go to Sleep". (Supposedly a demo, it sounds a lot like the Kinda Kinks version.) It was written for German singer Marion Maerz, and later covered by Peggy Lee, Cher, the Pretenders and just about every other female part time practitioner of smokey ballads. Fucking awesome song, simple. And beautiful. Where's my damn hankie?

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Kinks - Till the End of the Day mp3 at This Recording
The Kinks - All Day and All of the Night mp3 at Drummer World
The Kinks - You Really Got Me mp3 at Le Blog de la Grande Chose
The Kinks - I Gotta Move mp3 at 8106
Zzzzzzzzz: 
The Kinks - I Go to Sleep (demo) mp3 at Art Decade
Marion Maerz - I Go to Sleep mp3 at MediaFire 
Peggy Lee - I Go to Sleep (streaming) at YouTube
Video:
Marion Maerz - I Go to Sleep at YouTube  
Visit:
Marion Maerz at Ready Steady Girls

No comments: