Saturday, September 29, 2012

THE MANY MOODS OF BALDEMAR

Here's a little stumble from today.  I was in a Latin mood, in search of boogaloo.  I ended up at Super Sonido, which is where I usually begin a Latin music hunt, listening to Freddy Fender and the Comancheros' "Boogaloo en Monterey," which doesn't sound like boogaloo at all.  It's funky as shit. And the production, it has something in it, some sort of secret ingredient, and it ain't slick.  I don't even want to know whether the sound, the slight echo (or whatever it is), or the overall vibe was intentional.  All I know is that it does sound good now, in a "they don't make 'em like that anymore" sort of way.

I came across some other earlier stuff under other names (he was born Baldemar Huerta). "Pancho Rock" and "Acapulco Rock" are both early Tejano rock.  "I Love Mi Ranchero" is some later Tex-Mex.  He's got a pretty varied dossier there, and that's without the Texas Tornados or Los Super 7.  Man, though, that "Boogalloo en Monterey" is a killer.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Freddy Fender and the Comancheros - Boogaloo en Monterey mp3 at Super Sonido
Baldemar Huerta - Pancha Rock mp3 at Vuelve  Primavera 
Eddie y Los Shades - Acapulco Rock mp3 at Vuelve  Primavera
Freddy Fender - I Love Mi Rancho Grande mp3 at Lil Mikes
Visit:
Freddy Fender at Wikipedia

No comments: