Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DOUBLE OH G


Do you like U Roy, Dillinger, Big Youth, Dennis Alcapone, Scotty, and other reggae DJs? Count Machuki was their man. The first person to toast over Jamaican records. The first time he did it, he was just fucking around, killing time while the sound system operator Tom the Great Sebastian was on a booze run. When the crowd dug it, he went home and started working on his rhymes. "If you dig my jive/you're cool and very much alive, Everybody all round town, Machukis' the reason why I shake it down, When it comes to jive, You can't whip him with no stick." If you go chronologically backwards, all roads lead to the Count. From hip hop, rap, and dancehall, through all of the other reggae DJs, it is a direct lineage. He was the first to rap, free style or otherwise. He also to first to make rhythmic oddball grunts and such, which was a huge part of the DJ package. The Count did it in the mother loving fifties.

I've never run into his stuff online, except at YouTube (and believe me, I've looked). So when I ran into the one today at Planet Mondo, I absolutely had to post it. If you need some padding, check the past posts about other reggae DJ's.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Count Machuki - Pepper Pot mp3
at Planet Mondo
More:
Reggae DJ posts
All reggae posts

No comments: