Monday, September 10, 2012

POST-SPICOLLI


It is brilliant in it's simplicity. Or maybe not. I know what it is. It's like a surrogate drinking buddy. Everybody's had one. The guy who's a beer or two ahead of everyone else, with a total disregard for fancy people. Burps, farts, scratches. He's the guy who would say it, "I drink cheap beer. So what. Fuck you." That's the chorus of "Cheap Beer," by Fidlar. Everybody would have to either agree or disagree with the sentiment, right? I think you can figure out what the official platform is over here.



The name Fidlar is derived from Fuck It Dog, Life's A Risk. That's kind of an eye roller. But, I do like the band as distinctly SoCal, some part of a post-Spicolli, punkish rockish beach slack. Just look at the song titles and you'll have a good idea of what I'm talking about. I think it's significant that the only cover I came across was one of Pulp's "Common People." I'm not a fan of Pulp, but I love that song. I first heard William Shatner's version, which I like a lot. Shatner's trademark cadence is not as corny as you'd expect, and actually works to the songs advantage, adding to the lyrics effectiveness. (Both versions are posted below.)

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Fidlar - Cheap Beer mp3 at We All Want Something to Shout For
Fidlar - Common People mp3
at Turntable Kitchen
Fidlar - Max Can't Surf mp3
at My Band's Better Than Your Band
Fidlar - I Wanna Be Your Cocaine mp3
at This Is the Big Beat
Fidlar - No Ass mp3
at Gimme Tinnitus
Fidlar - No Waves mp3
at Rollo and Grady Direct linking to mp3s may be disabled. If so, go there to get it
Fidlar - Got No Money mp3
at Rollo and Grady Ditto: got there.
Fidlar - Wake Bake Skate mp3
at Rollo and Grady Ditto: Go there.
Beam me down:
William Shatner - Common People mp3
at Inkiostro
Visit:
Fidlar
- Official site
Fidlar
at Bandcamp

No comments: