Saturday, July 7, 2012

HANG IT ON YOUR EAR


They named their band after a gas station. They didn't go over as well in Pana or Irving, as they did in Nokomis, Palmer and Morrisonville. Their drummer made the news when he played for forty straight hours in their practice space, a garage. John Wayne Gacy had something to do with promoting one of their shows. Does any of that wet your whistle? No? I didn't think so. What got me going was their almighty cruising vessel shown above. So I did me a click, and boy am I glad I did.

Dave and the Detomics aren't earth shattering by any means. You might find their stuff unremarkable. I knew nothing about them, and I could forget what I've learned by next week. But you know what? The first thought I had when I heard the first few bars of "Detomic Orbit" was "This is so up my alley." I happen to dig the everyman bands. The ones who strike out at Pana, so the concentrate on their steady gig at the Nokomis Park House. The ones who release a couple of 45s and then pound their heads against the wall, wondering why far less interesting bands are on the radio. The ones who figure that nobody cares about their stinking records, until a site like Garage Hangover comes calling forty years later. This, friends, is what Garage Hangover does best.

Garage Hangover doesn't like direct linking, but you can listen to "Detomic Orbit" at YouTube to taste test. Though, I highly recommend going to Garage Hangover to get that one and "Shatter," another excellent twangy organ-driven instrumental; if not all of them (there's seven in all). All this, and a lengthy bio to boot. You'll either really like them, or you can take a pass (and that'd be your loss, faker).

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Dave & the Detomics - Detomic Orbit (streaming) at YouTube
Dave & the Detomics - Detomic Orbit, Shatter and several other mp3s at Garage Hangover

No comments: