Sunday, April 15, 2012

THE LEGENDARY ALEX LEE HOOKER


Follow me here. The recently released Free Again: The 1970 Sessions, by Alex Chilton, is another bootleg legitimized, apparently stuff that's been shuffling around bootleg circles for years. It's stuff he recorded between the Box Tops and Big Star. (I must interject here that every time I hear the Box Tops mentioned, I'm reminded how amazing it is that Chilton wrote "The Letter" when he was something like fifteen years old). Anyway, I was curious, so I went looking. I found one cut, a cover of "Jumpin' Jack Flash," recorded just a couple years after the Stones original. It's early in the digestion, but I think it may have overtaken all other versions I've heard (primarily the original and Johnny Winter's version) as my favorite. It's loose, and just so, I dunno, American. But, tonight's fun had just begun.

Looking for more from the 1970 LP, I found instead an "In Memoriam" Alex Chilton post with a song that I really dig. Really dig. It's "Baron of Love, Pt. 2," and it sounds like John Lee Hooker backing the Legendary Stardust Cowboy. All four of you who will get that description, really need to hear it. The rest of you, make of it what you will. I don't know how else to describe it. But you four, you will really like it.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Alex Chilton - Jumpin’ Jack Flash at Aquariun Drunkard
Note: They may disable direct linking. If so, go there to get the above cut.
Alex Chilton - Baron of Love Pt. 2 at Star Maker Machine
Note: They may disable direct linking. If so, go there to get it and the two below..
The Box Tops - The Letter at Star Maker Machine
Big Star - I'm In Love With A Girl at Star Maker Machine

1 comment:

The Social Worker said...

Nice way to start the day. Will the real Alex Chilton please. Stand up, ya know? Guy never stops surprising. Fully agree on JJF, excepting Keef's well beloved raunchy riff, Chilton's might edge the original.