Tuesday, January 10, 2012

MOVE OVER JERRY LEE


I've always dug Roy Head's "Treat Her Right," it's only about two minutes long and has hardly any lyrics, a song so simple that even Johnny Thunders couldn't fuck it up. But I've heard little else of his, and knew squat of his background. After listening to the song again tonight, I decided to take a look-see. I ran across a great cover of Rosco Gordon's "Just A Little Bit." Then, on another hunt for an image, I landed on a post about Head at The Hound Blog. There in the middle of a long profile (with eleven mp3s and a few videos!), I ran into this illuminating quote: "I beat up club owners, choked disc jockeys, and did a lot of things I wish I hadn't done. Just just screwed up." Roy Head is now one of my favorite people.


This video is better once you know he's a party monster.

A read of The Hound's piece is highly recommended. Let's just close with another Head gem: "Hell, I've screwed up. I've got thrown off tours because I was having a little more fun than some of the other acts. I bit Elvis Presley on the leg when I was drunk one night and his bodyguards leaped on me, man, I had to go to the chiropractor for three weeks to get straightened out. I'm still not through. If there's one son of a bitch in the room that's paid to hear me, I'll work my butt off for them." There is no other guest of honor tonight.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Roy Head - Treat Her Right mp3 at Rocky-52.net
Roy Head - Just A Little Bit mp3 at Boogie Woogie Flu
Roy Head - One More Time mp3 at The Hound Blog
Roy Head - Ten more songs at The Hound Blog
Visit:
Roy Head - Excellent profile at The Hound Blog
Roy Head at Wikipedia

No comments: