Friday, October 28, 2011

SONGS FOR SWINGING LOVERS


You could consider this lazy, posting a song I've posted before, but guess what? Tough. I was listening to Nick Curran in my car today and was reminded what a damn fine rock 'n' roll singer he is. Seriously folks, when the most accurate description of his vocal talents is somewhere between vintage Little Richard and Gerry Roslie (the Sonics), you can guess who's listening. Even though he's a hot ass guitar player, he respects the structure of a short rock 'n' roll song. His solos, while not necessarily short, are efficient. And he shares, just check out the clip below. The sax solo is Godhead. And consider that the band is just a four piece, guitar, bass, drums and sax; and it still sounds incredibly full. This guy knows who brought us to the dance. Less is more and all that jazz.



When I went online looking for some of his music to post, I found that it's still rather barren out there. Sadly, I also ran across a post saying that he's fighting mouth cancer. Again. And he refers to it as "a bump in the road." There have been benefits for his medical bills, but one way you can help out is to pick up some of his music. His latest (which is a year or so old), Reform School Girl, is one of the few rock n' roll records I've heard in recent years that is top shelf stuff, beginning to end.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Nick Curran & the Lowlifes - Kill My Baby mp3 at KEXP
Video:
Nick Curran - I'm A Rocker (?) at YouTube
Nick Curran - Lucille (live, 2009) at YouTube
Visit:
Nick Curran bio at Blind Pig Records
Nick Curran at Wikipedia
Nick Curran at MySpace

No comments: