Sunday, January 30, 2011

AND HE PLAYS GUITAR


Earlier today, I was going about my business, and I was thinking about that A-Bones video from yesterday, and how Billy Miller reminded me a little of Nick Curran. Then, when I went online, I headed to YouTube to a look for videos of someone completely different, and went I there, one of the featured videos was Nick Curran. (Coincidence, or tracking?) It's a real good one, the performance anyway. (The video quality is okay.) It's Curran with the Barshakers, from 2000, doing Little Richard's "Lucille". There aren't many in Little Richard's league of bona fide rock n' roll shouters. The names that always seem to come to mind are Don & Dewey, Gerry Roslie of the Sonics, and Nick Curran. (I need to hear some more A-Bones, because Miller sounds close.) I know, that's probably something I've said in the past, but it bears repeating. Not a lot of people can sing like that. The League of Hot Shit Shouters, yessir.



~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Nick Curran & the Lowlifes - Kill My Baby mp3 at KEXP (No one has "Baby You Crazy" posted!)
Nick Curran & the Lowlifes - Baby You Crazy (live, 2009) video at YouTube Essential (and I know, I throw that word around a lot).
Little Richard - Lucille video at YouTube
Nick Curran & the Lowlifes - No Fun/Shot Down (live, 2009) video at YouTube Dig it, the Stooges done inna Fats Domino stylee.
Ronnie Dawson (Curran on Guitar) - Sucker For a Cheap Guitar (live, 1997) video at YouTube (Not a member of the league)

No comments: