Sunday, May 10, 2009

THIS WOMAN IS A SAINT


That's my Mom. I can't even start to list the reasons why she was a saint, but trust me on this one. She had five kids in five years and anyway you add it up, that's non-stop diapers for a long-ass time. Never mind five sack lunches a day, the grocery shopping, the school clothes shopping, the PTA meetings, the laundry, the swimming lessons, the housework, the Christmas shopping, the enchiladas done until they were just crispy around the edges and the sloppy joes made with onion soup mix. After we hit our mid-late teens, my Pop split and she handled the rebel years of her kids solo, with grace and acceptance. That's just the beginning. (If I continued, we'd be here all night.) She was, and is, the coolest Mom I have ever met.
.
It's Mother's Day, and although she would have preferred Nat King Cole, Stan Kenton or Gene Krupa, I'm sure she would pound the minute steaks for dinner to the beat of "Mother Popcorn" by the GFOS James Brown.
.
(Thank you Boogie Woogie Flu for posting it.)
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello tom,

got to check this out...I am so glad that your mom is still around...I remember all the times that I used yto come over and listen to the latest 45's and she was always so cool...please tell her hello for me!

heff

Tom G said...

Sorry to say she passed away six years ago. But you're right, she was so cool. She loved it when we brought our friends like you around. She thought of all of our friends as an extended family. For about the last twenty years of her life we referred to her as "Rockin' Betty" because, attitude wise, she flat out rocked. I picture her somewhere in heaven picking up some luck kids' empty beers with her kitchen towel over her shoulder.

Thanks for the kind words Heff.