Friday, May 30, 2008

JIMMY MCGRIFF 1936 - 2008


Jimmy McGriff died last weekend. It is not neccesarily cold to note that McGriff's passing presents an excellent opportunity for jazz neophytes to educate themselves about his music, and the whole Hammond B3 organ thing in general, via mp3 blogs. I don't know much about jazz, but I do know McGriff and Jimmy Smith (the other Jimmy), were like Hammond gods. And I've liked just about everything I've heard, from either of them (and I'm always reminded of why the mods thought they were such hot shit). Get into the Hammond groove, baby!
.
Jimmy McGiff - A Thing to Come By (Pts 1 & 2) and Fat Cakes mp3s at Funky 16 Corners
Jimmy McGriff - Groove Grease and two others at the Leather Canary
Jimmy McGriff - Dig On It mp3 and two others at Some Velvet Blog

No comments: